Saturday, May 19, 2018

Sam’s Saturday 9: Last Night a DJ Saved My Life!

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Last Night a DJ Saved My Life! (1982)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song is about a girl who is heartbroken about a boy who won't take her calls. Do you screen your calls, deciding to let some go to voicemail? Or do you pick up whenever you possibly can? (We're referring to calls from people you know.)
I assigned a ringtone to all of phone numbers that I have on my phone, so I can tell if it is a friend or not. Friends have one ringtone, family another and businesses a third ringtone. I ignore all the other calls, so if you want to talk to me leave a message and I will call you back if you are not going to try to sell me something.

[RANT] Why would I want to do business with a company that ignores the law? I am on the “Do Not Call” list so they are breaking the law. [/RANT]

2) When she was feeling her lowest, she heard a song on the radio that lifted her spirits. What's the last thing you heard on the radio?
It was Dragnet on Radio Classics on SiriusXM.

3) This song includes the sound of squeaky wheels, indicating a sudden stop and perhaps a near-miss. Tell us about your most recent traffic mishap.
It was a dark and rainy night and all the lines on the road were invisible and making a left turn I didn’t see the car next to me and he honked at me.

4) "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life!" is featured in the 2002 video game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Do you spend much time on video games?
Nope.

5) This week's featured artist, Indeep, was a trio. We've had many groups, some duos and tons of solo artists on Saturday 9, but not many trios. Can you name another popular trio?
Pete, Paul, and Mary

So fitting even today.

6) The last time Indeep performed together was in 1997, at a New Year's Eve show in Paris for French TV. Have you celebrated a holiday in another land?
Nope.

7) Britain's Royal Family is in the news this weekend, with attention centered on the nuptials. The Royals made news in 1982, as well. When this song was popular, Michael Fagan gained momentary fame by breaking into Buckingham Palace. He found The Royal Bedroom, where he came face-to-face with the Queen. He reports that Queen Elizabeth sleeps in a nightie that "reached down to her knees." What did you wear to bed last night?
In the winter the same as the queen, in the summer it is sleeveless and shorter.

8)  In 1982, you could buy a loaf of white bread for 50¢. Today, the national average price for that loaf of bread is more than $2.50. When you go grocery shopping, do you comparison shop and make purchases at more than one store? Or do you prefer one-stop shopping?
I shop at the local supermarket it is only a couple of miles down the road.

9) Random question: What's the first famous quote that comes to your mind?
I like the one on the top of my blog from the Eagles
"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key"
It resonates with me, how many times do we hold ourselves back for whatever reason?

4 comments:

  1. That Peter, Paul and Mary clip was lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I forgot Peter, Paul & Mary! What a great trio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hold myself back a LOT and wish I didn't but I am a fearful, timid sort of person (though I know a lot of people think otherwise). So many "if onlys" - too many to count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That DNC list is a farce. It excludes the worst robocall harassers- politicians etc

    ReplyDelete