Saturday, March 17, 2018

Saturday 9: Danny Boy

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Danny Boy (1956)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

"Danny Boy" was selected in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This is a sad song of farewell. Who is the last person you said "goodbye" or "so long" to?
A friend who I was with yesterday at a conference in Storrs on the UConn campus.

2) According to the 2000 Census, Massachusetts is the state with the largest percentage of residents of Irish descent. Have you ever been to The Bay State?
I never heard of the state of Massachusetts but I have heard of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Oh, have I told you that I bought a small cottage on Cape Cod in the town of Wellfleet?

3) "The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day?
Naw, maybe something orange just to stir up trouble.

4) What color makes you look best?
I have no idea, maybe I should make up a poll to find out.

5) Will you drink something green in honor of the day (like a Shamrock shake or a green beer)?
Yuck... I don't know anything that is naturally green to drink and I don't want to drink green food coloring.

6) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?
Nope. But my mother could look at a field of clover and pick out the four leaf covers  after I spent hours looking for them.

7) Though she's singing an Irish ballad, this week's featured artist, Joni James, is of Italian heritage. Can you think of a song as identified with Italy as "Danny Boy" is with Ireland?
How about the Italian Street Song



8) Soda bread and potato bread are popular in Ireland. Are there any rolls or bread in your kitchen right now?
Yes I have potato hot dog rolls


9) Ireland is known for its whiskey. Do you enjoy Irish coffee (black coffee, whiskey and whipped cream)?
Well not the recipe but rather black coffee, Bailey’s Irish Cream, and whipped cream.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, you have so heard of the state of Massachusetts! Why does our flag have 50 stars? After all, there is no star for the territory of Puerto Rico. Then, of course, there's Bay STATE College in Boston. It's not Bay Commonwealth College. What about the 6.25% state sales tax charged on anything Massachusetts residents purchase on Amazon.? (I worked on John Kerry's 2004 Presidential campaign, so I'm familiar with this particular pretension.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a Commonwealth, too. Yikes! That video reminded me that I soooo do not like opera. My mom used to like her Bailey's Irish Creme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q2. Hahaha! Now, now..Mz Picky! I think Gal said it all so I’ll just cough and look elsewhere. 👀😂
    Are we related? My mother also had this 🍀 finding ability that you ascribe to your mother! It was a phenomenon. A source of wonder and awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virginia is a Commonwealth, too, but Gal said all that must be said about that, I think. I smiled though when I read your answer. To bad we don't think about what that means: commonwealth. It doesn't mean Really Rich versus Really Poor. Common Wealth. Provide for the common wealth, promote the general welfare. When did those words in our Constitution stop having meaning?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer Bailey's coffee to Irish coffee. Or a Bailey's Blizzard (Bailey's blended with ice).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds better than standard irish coffee!

    ReplyDelete