Thursday, July 06, 2017

One Republican Has Seen The Light

Down in Texas there is a bill winding its way through the legislature (S 6 Texas Privacy Act) and it has passed the Senate and is now in the House where it has an unlikely opponent, the Speaker of the House.
Texas Speaker: ‘I don’t want a suicide on my hands’ over bathroom bill
LGBTQNation
By Associated Press
July 5, 2017

The driving force in Texas behind a “bathroom bill” is pushing back after the Republican House speaker was quoted as saying he didn’t want a “suicide” on his hands over efforts to restrict which restrooms transgender people can use.

In the story published Monday, author Lawrence Wright wrote that Straus told him about a senator coming to his office with a proposed compromise just before the bill collapsed in May.

“I’m not a lawyer, but I am a Texan,” said Straus, according to the magazine. “I’m disgusted by all this. Tell the lieutenant governor I don’t want the suicide of a single Texan on my hands.”
Finally a Republican and a Texas Republican to boot, who said enough is enough.

I hope others see the light but I doubt it and I wonder how this will affect the Speakers political future, will he be stripped of his Speakership?

No comments:

Post a Comment