Wednesday, June 21, 2017

While We Are On The Topic Of Movies…

There is an independent movie that just came out, “And Then There Was Eve.”
‘And Then There Was Eve’ can’t survive on good intentions alone
Substream Magazine
By Leigh Monson
June 19, 2017

The following review of And Then There Was Eve is coverage for the Los Angeles Film Festival.

And Then There Was Eve is exactly the kind of film I hate to review, and that’s for two reasons. First, this is the kind of film where I can’t really talk about it in any great depth without getting into the nitty gritty of second and third act plot details that could be considered spoilers, so if you don’t want to know where this plot is going, stop reading after the second paragraph. However, the second reason I hate reviewing movies like And Then There Was Eve is because it very, very clearly has its heart in the right place on a very critical social justice issue, but it misses the mark so earnestly and yet so misguidedly that I can’t help but feel that by criticizing it I’m doing some sort of harm to the social progress it’s trying to further, which I’d absolutely hate to do. And yet, despite its morals being firmly where they need to be, its perspective and the degrees by which it grants its characters empathy are disproportionately skewed toward emphasizing the suffering of the privileged over the discriminated against.

The film focuses on Alyssa (Tania Nolan) one year after her husband Kevin mysteriously disappeared. In attempting to track him down, she discovers his work acquaintance Eve (Rachel Crowl), who agrees to help her through this troubling time. Eve suggests that Alyssa move on, encouraging that she grieve the loss of Kevin with a wake and that she join a support group for widows. And as Alyssa begins to move on with her life, she starts to discover a love for Eve that she fears exploring further.
Okay, I have to give a disclosure… I know Rachel Crowl and her spouse Helen Boyd the author of “My Husband Betty,” I have known them for about ten years now, I first met them at Fantasia Fair. If you haven’t figured it out yet, Rachel is Betty.



No comments:

Post a Comment