Saturday, July 02, 2016

Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic (1968)
... because it's 4th of July 

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

This performance of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is from Robert Kennedy's funeral. So this week, we focus on him.


1) During WWII, when he was just 17, Robert Kennedy enlisted in the Navy. He was disappointed he was never involved in combat. Tell us about a time when you felt fate/circumstances kept you from something you wanted.  
Ooo… these are hard questions this week.
Not so much fate kept me from what I wanted but rather more like got me a good job. I was in the right spot when the supervisor of the test department gave his 2 weeks’ notice. I was the supervisor there for 25 years.

2) Bobby was trained as an altar boy and throughout his life regularly attended early morning mass. When is the last time you attended a worship service?
I think when my father passed away.

3) He may have been an altar boy, but he was no angel. During junior high he was suspended for punching a classmate. Who is the last person who made you very, very mad?
It was a couple of days ago when someone didn’t tell me the meeting was cancelled. But I didn’t stay mad long.

4) He had his first date when he was a senior in high school. Looking back, Mary Bailey Gimble told Kennedy biographers that she knew he had a crush on her and wondered why it took him so long to ask her out. Tell us about one of your early crushes.
No I won’t tell you because she reads my blog.

5) Bobby's wife Ethel is as bubbly and talkative as he was introspective and shy. He was organized, she's messy. While opposites may attract, do you believe the happiest marriages are between partners who are more similar than different?
More similar than opposites but then again maybe they are similar because they been together for so long.

6) By November 1960, when he was 35 years old, Bobby already had served as legal counsel to two Senate committees and run his brother's successful Presidential campaign. He was looking forward to a quieter life teaching law but gave in to family pressure to become President Kennedy's Attorney General. Tell us about a time when you were at a crossroads. Who influenced your decision?
When I decided to transition and I did it not because of one person but a number of other successful people who transitioned.

7) In 1777, Colonists celebrated July 4 with the firing of cannons and muskets, followed by a public reading of the Declaration of Independence. What is your neighborhood doing to observe the day?
Shooting off fireworks. In New Hampshire fireworks are legal and all around the lake fireworks will be going off.

8) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Do you know anyone who is serving in the military this 4th of July?
Not right now but I know of a number people who have served.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July?
I believe we are having hamburgers

4 comments:

  1. Fireworks over the water are so pretty! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maine has legalized fireworks now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fireworks here are so massive we just stay home and cuddle the doggie.
    I forgot to answer the first question. Your answer was of a truly sweet, serendipitous event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came back when I got my brains cleared up. :/ Trying to do too many things at once. I hope you enjoy the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete