Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Theme from Love Story

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: The Theme from Love Story (1970)

Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…
In honor of Valentine's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The very popular tagline for this movie is, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Here's your chance to rewrite it. "Love means _____________________."
Overlooking their faults.


2) The movie was famous for a montage of the lovers frolicking in the snow. Do you enjoy sledding, skating, skiing, snowball fights, snowmen, etc.? Or do you just want spring to hurry up and get here?
I used to enjoy them but then I got older. I am at the point where I don’t like winter, not because of the snow or cold but rather the cost of heating the house. This year has been a lot better than other winters because of the warmer weather and the low price of heating oil. However, we are in the beginnings of a cold snap.

3) In the movie, Oliver asks his father for $5,000. The money is required for wife Jenny's hospital treatment, but Oliver is too proud to tell his father why he needs it. Adjusted for inflation, $5,000 in 1970 is $30,000 today. How much would you be willing to lend a friend or family member without knowing the reason?
If it was a close friend or family members probably under a thousand dollars.

4) In the movie, Jenny is the daughter of a baker who owns a little shop in Cranston, Rhode Island. Think of the last baked goods you consumed. Were they home made? Did you buy them from a bakery, the grocery store, or a coffee shop, like Starbucks?
I bought a loaf of sour dough bread at the grocery store bakery.

5) In 1970, when the movie was first released, California's First Lady Nancy Reagan said she liked it but was upset to hear Ali MacGraw's character swear. What's the curse word you use most often? (Feel free to spell it with *'s, in case Nancy Reagan stops by Sat. 9)
I don’t usually swear much only when I’m tired and very uncomfortable. Such as when I was working in a hot attic, sweaty, tired, and I hit my head on a rafter and then you probably heard me say D***N! F**K! And a few other choice words.

6) Now 75, Ali MacGraw has let her famous hair go gray. She says she's glad to "look like a grown up." Do you feel your age? Or older or younger than your years?
I feel older but I look younger. People don’t believe I have Medicare.

7) MacGraw and her Love Story co-star Ryan O'Neal are currently on tour in the play, Love Letters, and they're drawing big crowds of fans who remember them in their famous film. Tell us of another movie couple you felt had romantic chemistry.
Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy

8) Red is the signature color of Valentine's Day. Are you wearing red right now?
Nope.

9) Because Valentine's Day is such a big day for chocolate ... would you prefer a large, solid milk chocolate heart or a small box of four assorted chocolates?
Being diabetic I haven’t had any chocolates in years… well maybe I cheated once or twice… or maybe a few more times. What I would like is a box of assorted Lindt's chocolate truffles.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Tracy and Hepburn! They were both wonderful separately, but their films together were really something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindts chocolates are very good; they are the "special occasion" chocolate for me.

    I read your Friday article and I agree with you. That issue has also come up in Virginia, much to my horror. I don't understand discrimination. People are people. But apparently I am in the minority. Your solution - separate changing areas, etc. - is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a chocolate eater, but those Lindt truffles (any truffles really) are wonderful! I can't have them in the house or I'd eat them all in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why I live in Maine since I hate winter. This winter has been mild (until this weekend and now it's going to be -40) so I shouldn't complain too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of fresh sourdough bread. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There have been so many great answers for the first question. Lovely answer. Also,sour dough is scrumptious as are chocolate truffles. Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great answers! I chose Katharine and Spencer too.. love love love them :D Diabetic here as well.. I so miss chocolate and the sugar free is just nasty! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete