Monday, February 15, 2016

A Rock And A Hard Place

South Dakota is about to put their schools into a position of either violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act or breaking a state law. Why? Because of bathrooms.
South Dakota Is About To Pass The First Statewide Law In The U.S. Attacking Trans Kids
“I’m sorry if you’re so twisted you don’t even know who you are," said Republican state Sen. David Omdahl.
Logo NewNowNext
By Dan Avery
February 12, 2016

A bill on the verge of becoming law in South Dakota would ban transgender students from using bathrooms and locker rooms that aligns with their gender identity.

The state House of Representatives passed House Bill 1008 last week and, yesterday, it passed the state Senate Education Committee by a vote of 4-2. The next step is putting it to a vote in the Republican-controlled state Senate, which could happen as early as next week.
Then the senator goes on to insult us by saying…
Sen. David Omdahl has already announced he’ll vote for the bill, adding that trans people are “treating the wrong part of the anatomy.”

“I’m sorry if you’re so twisted you don’t even know who you are,” said Omdahl, a Republican. “They’re treating the wrong part of the anatomy. They ought to be treating it up here,” pointing to his head.
And what did the governor have to say about us?
Given that Daugaard opposes marriage equality and has stated “I don’t think that individual groups should be given special privileges,” we can’t see him vetoing the measure.
So being able to “pee in peace” is a “special privilege?”

There are three more anti-trans bills in the South Dakota legislature.

In an opinion article Argus Leader, Kendra Heathscott wrote,
Gov. Daugaard, you met a transgender person: me

Dear Governor Daugaard,

Recently I had read an article that had stated that you had never been aware of meeting a transgender person. Because of this article, I was reached out to by a couple of individuals who had worked at Children's Home Society during that time in my life. They called to remind me of a part of my early life, for which I had done the emotional work to move on from. They shared with me a vital part of my childhood that has shaped me into the person I am today, and I would like to share that story with you and the part in which you actually played an active role.

She goes on to write about the harassment and bullying she faced in school not only by the students but also by the staff and administration. Which resulted in her being place in a school for “troubled youth,” Children's Home Society, because of her gender identity.

At the time, you were the director of CHS when I attended the day program there. I have many fond memories of you sitting at my table and talking with the other students and me during lunch. I loved hearing the stories that you would share with us. Do you remember that story you used to tell us about the mountain lions? Or do you maybe remember the Christmas show we used to put on at Methodist Church? I had a solo one year – it was "Joyful Joyful" from "Sister Act." I always loved singing, which reminds me of the time I sang a Hilary Duff song at our talent show. I will also never forget the field days. Those were so much fun.

I hope that you remember me and realize that you have known a trans person all along and that I loved your stories and the positive energy you always had so much of. The genuine love and concern that you so freely shared back then helped to make a very difficult period of my life better.
It seems that the governor’s love is placed only on those who follow the gender norms.

No comments:

Post a Comment