Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Last Night

A friend talked me in to going to a game night at Real Art Ways which is an avant-garde… well it is hard to define what RAW real is, so in their own words,
We have a reputation for exceptional programming, but it’s our relaxed vibe and inclusive environment that keep people coming back. The flow of people, art and ideas makes RAW a comfortable place for people from different backgrounds to share experiences and create new memories.
So anyhow my friend loves to play board games and I introduced her to the SARALesbians* a social group of senior lesbians and they have a monthly game night. I not a big fan of board games but I had a bad case of cabin fever and wanted to get out of the house.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the days that I volunteer at the Hartford Gay and Lesbian Health Collective, I am usually there from one to four and she said about having dinner at a restaurant near Trinity College that we been there before (She used to be the nurse at the HGLHC before she retired). After dinner we headed over to RAW, we were the first ones there and then a couple who I know from the LGBT Moveable Senior Center came in and soon we had eight women with us and we decided on playing Mexican Train Dominoes, as game that I never heard of. But it was easy to learn and I actually won the first game.

Why I liked last night;

  • It was fun playing train dominoes and learning a new game.
  • It was nice to be at a place where I could just be me
  • And the dynamics of the group is so much different than a men’s group. I always felt that even with a group of friends there was always tension and competition to be the alpha male and there is a lot less tension with a women’s group.

*This is how they put it
SARALesbians     Seasoned And Rising Again Lesbians                      
We are a community of lesbians, open to all women. We work together to promote gender equality and change the way women experience the cultural challenges of growing old.
Founded August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment