Sunday, October 18, 2015

I Am Off To Provincetown

I am on my way to P’town for Fantasia Fair, a weeklong trans conference. I am giving a workshop on lobbying and also I’m on the panel for the Effectively Representing the Trans Community” workshop.

I have been going to Fantasia Fair off and on for since 2000, before I transitioned Fan Fair gave me a chance to be “Diana” for a whole week. It was exciting to walk down a street as Diana and it was a safe space to not have to worry about being seen by someone I knew. It was an adventure, with workshop on makeup, hair removal, voice training, and loads of other workshops. It was a chance to see trans people that I only read about online. It was a chance to go out to dinner with friends and they also had the follies and two banquets where I could get all dressed up.

Now I go up there for different reasons, I don’t need to hide any more. I go to see old friends and also as a vacation, the Cape is so photogenic that there are thousands of different places and thing to photograph. There will be days where I will take off to the dunes or to lighthouses around Provincetown.

The banquets and follies I usually leave early because they are not novel anymore and the last time I was it the follies I took these photos and made it into a video.


I will be posting daily from the Fair this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment