Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Fantasia Fair Day 3 – Pioneer Awards

Yesterday’s luncheon keynote address was by Monica Roberts who was this year recipient of the Virginia Prince Transgender Pioneer Award. Some call me an activist but I don’t even come close to those who have come before me and Monica is one of the those activist. She was blazing the trail for all those who followed; I was still huddle in the dark closet.

In her speech she talked what has happened before but it was more about the current state of trans affairs in Texas and the hope of passing HERO (Houston Equal Rights Ordinance) in Houston. How Texas is starting to head for a blue state as more blacks and Latinos are moving to the suburbs and the state is becoming my integrated.

She also talked about Black Lives Matter, how she talked to the leaders of the movement and they assured her that ALL Black Lives Matter including black trans lives. That the message might not have filtered down to the chapters but the leaders are emphatic they include all black lesbians, gays, bi and trans lives.

She accepted the award at the banquet that night. The banquet that night was very nice in that the awards ceremony was short and sweet and to the point. There was a cocktail hour first and the awards ceremony which was followed by a buffet.

In the morning I gave my workshop, Effective Lobbying and there were four people who attended it, which was what I expected because after all it wasn’t about makeup or wig care but rather it was about lobbying. I am doing another workshop this morning on “Effectively Representing the Trans Community” and I am on a panel with Dr. Miqqi Alicia Gilbert and Dallas Denny. And my last workshop will be a repeat of yesterday’s workshop.


Sadly I lost an Cubic Zirconia earring, it wasn’t a diamond earring thank goodness but it still was slightly expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment