Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Out From The Shadows

Those of you who follow my blog know my stance on trans actors/actresses. I believe at the very least they should be given a chance to audition for trans characters.
After Years of Hiding in Hollywood, Trans Actress Trace Lysette Is Finally 'Living Out Loud'
The Transparent star tells her inspiring story of going from the closet to 'living out loud' in her two new roles as feisty trans women on upcoming TV shows.The Advocate
By Mitch Kellaway
April 15, 2015

And now, she reveals to The Advocate, Lysette has been cast in recurring roles in two upcoming TV comedies: "brash head waitress" Gloria Del Rey on NBC's new drama The Curse of the Fuentes Women and Gisele in quirky Starz comedy Blunt Talk, which has found her shooting alongside childhood idol Patrick Stewart.
[…]
"I never disclosed I was trans to anyone in the casting process for fear of being discriminated against. I wasn't living out loud yet," she reflects. "I hadn't seen another trans woman in a nontrans role on TV before. ... It was uncharted territory for me and I remember being a nervous wreck on-set, hoping that no one would 'clock' me [as trans]."
[…]
"It was a huge wake-up call for me," Lysette says of seeing Cox be so open about her trans identity. When Cox took Lysette to Brad Calcaterra's LGBT acting class shortly thereafter, Lysette says she learned to become "free." "I'd never been 'out' in an acting class before."

"Around that same time, [trans woman] Islan Nettles was catcalled and then beaten to death in Harlem, where I lived," Lysette continues. "She died a block from my apartment at Harlem Hospital, and I thought to myself, I'm not doing my trans sisters and brothers any justice by living a semicloseted existence. I need to live out loud and live visibly to help get the respect and the rights we deserve."

Lysette says she soon began auditioning for trans roles as an openly trans actress. Today, her joy is palpable as she remembers the days before the "long process" that coming out in Hollywood has been for her.
There are many talented trans actresses and actors out there who should be given a chance to audition for all roles and not just trans characters. Hopefully, the times they are a changing for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment