Friday, August 14, 2015

Here Comes The Bride!

Okay, I’m not a fan of TV soaps but I came across this article about “The Bold and the Beautiful”
Daytime TV’s First Transgender Bride Gets Hitched On “The Bold and the Beautiful”
And she reads her father for filth at the altar!
Logo
By Matthew Tharrett
August 11, 2015

The Bold and the Beautiful actress Karla Mosley made history as the first transgender bride to be married on daytime TV yesterday when her character, Maya Avant, was married to the sexy young entrepreneur Rick Forrester (played by Jacob Young).

Avant has been a series regular since 2013, but she first came out as transgender in an episode in March. She was hailed as the first transgender character to regularly appear on a daytime soap, and CBS was quick to add a supporting role for her in Nick, a trans man played by actor Scott Turner Schofield.
Logo had another article about Ms. Avant,
“The Bold And The Beautiful” Introduces Daytime Television’s First Trans Character
By Matthew Tharrett
March 19, 2015
CBS’ long-running soap The Bold and the Beautiful became the first daytime drama to introduce a regular transgender character this week, revealing model Maya Avant was actually a trans woman.

On yesterday’s episode, Maya—who is currently dating Rick Forrester— surprised viewers by confirming that she had transitioned at a young age. The revelation was brought on by Maya’s sister, Nicole, who confronted her with a birth certificate. “You’re not my sister, Maya. You’re not Maya at all,” Nicole declared. “You’re Myron, my brother.”

Some fans claim they weren’t shocked by the revelation, pointing to Avant’s long history of having trouble with intimacy as a clue. Others are concerned about a trans character being used as a “shocking” plot twist.
Some of you might remember that there was another trans character on daytime soaps, “All My Children” had a trans character on the show. From my blog back then…
On the TV Soap All My Children they have added a transgendered character, Zoe (Played by an actor), who is going through transition on the show. Last Friday they showed a scene from a support group that they did for the show and they used actual transgendered people, not actors for the segment. Two of the people that were part of the support group I have met; Betty Crow and Jennifer Boylan. Betty’s wife is Helen Boyd the author of “My Husband Betty” and “She is not the Man I Married”. Jennifer Boylan is the author of “She is not There: a Life in Two Genders” and she has been on the Oprah Show twice and her book was one of Oprah’s picks. The TV film clip is a fairly good presentation of what goes on in a support group, it was unscripted and I think the clip is worth watching.






So now I guess we are mainstream now, we are in the soaps.

# # # # #

I finally got my new laptop and the files transferred from my old laptop. I was a little worried because all my workshops presentation were on my and I am giving one next month and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to recreate it from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment