Sunday, July 26, 2015

Quite, Withdrawn & Easy To Anger

A trouble kid, a cutter, can’t concentrate in class, a straight “A” student now barely able to advance to the next grade…
GREENWICH (AP) — In ninth grade, Evan Connors was taken to the hospital three times. He was reclusive. He was mute. He hated himself.

"Ninth grade was like getting sucked into a black hole," he says. "I'd just ... do things to myself that weren't good. It was horrible, it was scary, I didn't know who I was."

His mother, Wendy Connors, didn't know how to reach her child.
"I vividly remember standing in your room when you were so, beyond," she says to him.

Terrified, as any parent would be, Wendy told herself she was going to stop what she saw happening.

"I said, ... 'I'm not going to lose my kid, I'm going to change things right now. I'm going to pull you back out. And you know, it was just a matter of love and talking and making sure I didn't just give up. And here we are. Right?" 
So what do you think, is there any way to turn this trouble child around?

The Hartford Courant article goes on to say,
"To see the progression from that time to where we are now, I can't even tell you how proud I am of this kid sitting here, just the confidence and the ability to sit and talk openly and present yourself as yourself," Wendy says.
So what brought about the change?

Well since this blog is about trans I think it is obvious… he came out as trans. The depression went away and his school work improved so much that he is going to college this fall.

It is not a smooth road, there are many bumps and detours and one of the things that helped was a strong GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) at school and at graduation “Evan's classmates voted him "Most Changed" in this year's yearbook.”

No comments:

Post a Comment