Monday, June 01, 2015

We Have A Unique Perspective

When it comes to male privilege trans women and men are able to see it first hand.
These 25 Examples of Male Privilege from a Trans Guy’s Perspective Really Prove the Point
Everyday Feminism
By James St. James
May 30, 2015

Quite a bit changed for me over the first couple of years I started testosterone.
[…]
But just as fascinating as it was to witness my mental and physical changes, it was just as equal of an adjustment to comprehend how other people were responding to me.

In short, I was being treated better by everyday America because people were reading me as a young, white, straight (?!) male. And I recognized many new privileges that came my way because of it.
He goes on to list the 25 examples of male privilege, here are some of them,
2. Yet I’m Still Taken (More) Seriously
I’m still amazed at the amount of people that now immediately shut their mouths the second I open mine.

3. I Rarely Get Interrupted
I used to be interrupted so often while presenting as a woman that I in turn started to talk over people as a form of conversational survival.

4. I Get Paid More
The proof is in my paychecks. Actual, numerical proof.

7. I Get a Ton of Free Passes
For the record, I’ve never done anything horrific enough to invoke the all-saving phrase of “Boys will be boys,” but I often forget to watch my mouth in front of superiors and authority figures.
And while I was getting into tons of trouble for the smallest thing through school and my earliest jobs, these days I can’t recall a single time I’ve been called out or reprimanded.

9. I’m Very Likely to Arrive Home Safely After Walking Alone at Night
Assuming nobody is out looking to f-g bash, but that’s a somewhat different matter.
It remains that I walk alone at night far more than I used to purely because I’m a dude.

10. I Don’t Have to Worry About Keeping an Eye on My Drink at Parties and Social Gatherings
Unless it’s at a gay venue where there seem to be some questionable, creepy chickenhawks around, drink safety doesn’t even cross my mind anymore.
Now here is one that I noticed in a theater, all of a sudden my space got smaller.
22. I’m Allowed to Take Up Space – And Lots of It
If I feel like spreading out on public transportation, nobody – regardless of gender – tells me to move over anymore.
They just act like I have full right to be obnoxious.
Trans women friends who are engineers and project managers, they tell me it is like they had a lobotomy or that they became invisible. One friend who is a project manager at large international engineer company, told me that before she transition when “he” said something at a meeting everyone nodded their heads in agreement, now when she says something it ignored until a man repeats it and everyone nods their heads. One time said that she was even asked to get the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment