Saturday, May 09, 2015

Saturday 9: Harper Valley PTA

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Harper Valley PTA (1968)
Every Saturday I take time off from written on serious topics to have some fun…

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's featured artist uses her middle initial (C. for Carolyn) all the time. Do you use your middle initial very often? 
Only on legal documents where it is required,

2) In this song, a mother tells off the local PTA. What's the most recent school event you attended -- whether as a parent, a teacher or a student?
What about as an alumni?
I am on the alumni board of directors for the university’s school of social work, so I was there last week for the meeting. Also I went to a lecture by Laverne Cox as an university guest…


3) The lyrics reference the mom's miniskirts, which were trendy in the 1960s. The website Popsugar reports that gingham checks are trendy for 2015. Tell us about the most recent addition to your wardrobe.
It was a blue lace tunic that I got for a television interview, I read somewhere that you should wear a solid color not white or black. Here is a photo from the interview…


4) Thinking of moms, Access Hollywood named Carol Brady of The Brady Bunch TV's #1 mom. Who is your favorite TV mom?
Probably Shirley Partridge (Shirley Jones) from the Partridge Family the reruns are now in TV again.

5) Mother Winters always gave Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share?
Naw… I don’t have any.

6) Sam's mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What's your tipping policy? Are you more like Sam or her mother?
I usually give 20%

7) When the tip of her shoelace becomes frayed, Sam's mother snips off the end and then paints the tip with clear nail polish. Good as new! Sam thinks that's crazy because you can just buy new laces for less than $2. Are you more frugal like mother or spendthrift like daughter?
I’m a tightwad. But I will spend money on things that I want.

8) Mother Winters loves how french vanilla smells and burns her Yankee Candles all year around. Do you use scented candles or air fresheners?
I am a scented candles fanatic, I driving right by the factory in a couple hours as I drive up to the cottage and I might stop by the store on the way home.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?
I hadn’t had a Hershey Bars still I was diagnosed with diabetes, but I used to like chocolate with almonds. Used to eat around the almonds to save them to last.

6 comments:

  1. I love going into candle stores! Love all the smells! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked Shirley Partridge, too. I didn't know the show was back on TV. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cool that you got to meet Ms. Cox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laverne Cox--what a great photo! She's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so famous! Laverne must have been amazing to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eating all around the almonds sounds like a great idea. I loved your answers and the photo op! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete