Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Burn-Out

That happens a lot with activists, sometimes fighting windmill just becomes over powering and we throw in the towel. Back in 1999 Dallas Denny wrote an article about this topic,
We Eat Our Leaders

In the transgender community, we eat our leaders. I know this because I was nearly consumed myself.

What do I mean, we eat our leaders? I’m saying that the leaders of the transgender community, whether hired, elected, or self-appointed, tend to give so much of themselves and get so little in return that they eventually have nothing left—no vitality, no patience, no partners, no money, no careers, no homes, no futures.
And I cannot but help but wonder if this will happen to Jazz before she is out of her teens. It seems like everywhere you look there is something about Jazz, CNN had this article about Jazz,
Why transgender teen Jazz Jennings is everywhere

(CNN)The transgender community is celebrating several milestones thanks to one teen doing her part for transgender visibility.

Activist and YouTube star Jazz Jennings will star in a reality show debuting on TLC this summer, the network announced last week. "All That Jazz" will feature the 14-year-old and her family dealing with typical teen drama through the lens of a transgender youth.
[…]
Wait, there's more. Jazz is also the latest face of Clean & Clear's "See The Real Me" digital campaign.

Jazz appears in a video for the skincare company sharing the trials of growing up transgender.

"I've always known exactly who I am. I was a girl trapped in a boy's body," Jazz said in the video, which encourages teens to be "your true self."
She is also on the NO8H, she co-authored "I am Jazz,"  a children's book in 2014 based on her life, and she was at this year’s True Color conference.

I just wonder what is going to happen in five – ten years will she burn out? She will always have the “label” transgender and it will be very hard to live a “normal” life.

My one regret is that I am all over the web, if you Google my name you will get a thousand of hits that will leave no doubt that I’m trans and I can’t help but wonder what Jazz will be like when she is 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment