Wednesday, October 08, 2014

LGBT History Month (Part 1 of 3)

I remember when…

I thought I was all alone, I didn’t think anyone else in the world felt the way I did. When I first saw news articles about Christine Jorgensen and Renee Richards I didn’t connect with them because of the way the media portrait them, that wasn’t me. It you looked transsexual in a dictionary or an encyclopedia the definition said “perversion” or “mental disorder” and I didn’t think that fit me.

One day in the summer of 1970 I was washing my car in the driveway and a song came on the radio. I wasn’t paying particle attention to it but then I heard the words…
Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
Oh my Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola
Hmm…?

That got my attention and I stopped to listen…
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola
La-la-la-la Lola
Whoa! I sat down and listened to the song.

There was a song about the way I felt!

There must be other people who felt the same way that I did if there is a song about us.

I am not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment