Sunday, August 24, 2014

What A Support Group Is Like

A lot of times I am asked what do you do in the support group, well this video clip for the TV Soap All My Children from back in 2007 gets it right…



And they should since all of the people in the video except the actor “Zoe” are trans.

Back in 2007 the TV show added a transgendered character, Zoe (Played by an actor), who is going through transition on the show and the scene is from a support group that they did for the show, they used actual transgender people, not actors for the segment. Two of the people that were part of the support group I have met; Betty Crow and Jennifer F. Boylan. Betty’s wife is Helen Boyd the author of “My Husband Betty” and “She is not the Man I Married.” Jennifer F. Boylan is a writer, college professor and the author of many books including “She is not There: a Life in Two Genders” and she has been on the Oprah Show twice and the book was one of Oprah’s picks.

The TV film clip is a fairly good presentation of what goes on in a support group, it was unscripted and I think the clip is worth watching. Zoe’s comment at the end of the clip was how I felt after my first support group meeting, that I was not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment