Saturday, August 23, 2014

Saturday 9: I Got You, Babe

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: I Got You, Babe
(recommended by Thank You Great Spirit)


If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.

1) Popular music has produced almost countless groups, but not that many duos. Besides Sonny & Cher, can you name another?
Do you mean married duos like Ike & Tina Turner? There are a number of duos that I can think of, Simon and Garfunkel, The Carpenters, Hall and Oates, and The Righteous Brothers (they were just on Sirius Ch6)

2)  Hearing this recording from his clock radio is how Bill Murray woke up every morning in Groundhog Day. What woke you up this morning?
The sun and I'll probably try to go back to bed after I finish writing this.

3) When she was growing up, Cher practiced her autograph for when she became a star. Is your signature legible? Or is it more of a scrawl?
It is more like chicken scratches.

4) In addition to show biz, Sonny & Cher had many careers: Sonny was a restaurateur and politician, Cher is an interior designer. Would you like to try your hand at any of those professions?
Nope, especially not a politician.

5) In 1965, when this song topped the charts, Sonny and Cher were as famous for their wardrobe as for their music. Sonny was fond of tall, heavy-heeled boots while Cher often paired granny dresses with bare feet. What's on your feet right now?
Slippers with socks.

6) By 1968, their career crashed. Cher's early attempts as a movie actress failed, their records stopped selling and the IRS came after them for back taxes. Have you ever been audited?
Nope, fingers crossed,

7) In 1971 they were on top again with their TV show. But their marriage was coming apart. Sonny said, "For the last 5 years I worried about our career, not about us." Have you ever been guilty of putting career before relationship? 
I can honestly say no I have never done that.

8) By 1972 they were living separate lives -- in the same house. For the sake of The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, they pretended to be happily married another year and a half. Tell us about a time when you pretended to be happy, but weren't.
Oh it happens many times, too many to pick just one. Most of the time it is something that I have to do but I would really want to be someplace else.

9) While their separation and divorce were bitter, they resumed their friendship when Cher showed up at the opening of his restaurant in 1976. Have you ever made the first move in repairing a relationship?
No, I think I realized that it was over or that it was just a not made to be.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, when you have to look like you're involved and interested when you "really want to be someplace else."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with on the fingers crossed... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I had a brain fart with the duos, lol.. and I'm with you on the last one. If it's not right - it's just not right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent answers! Good duos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only good thing about being a politician is that if you are in DC you get all kinds of perks that us regular folks are not privy to. Such a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have duos down, Gal! I couldn't remember very many.

    I'd never want to be a politician either. If you are honest, you get shoved aside and treated like a harpy, and if you're not, well, you are crooked and a criminal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't remember the last time I wore slippers. And I probably have four pairs!

    ReplyDelete