Monday, August 25, 2014

I Did It…

I’m going to Fantasia Fair this year; I booked a $99 room at the Boatslip and I will register for the fair in September after I pay my credit card bill for the room deposit and then pay off the room balance on the October bill. That way it is not one big hit, it is spread out over three months because the fair is not cheap but considering that it is for seven days it is reasonable.

I decided on going because of a number of reasons, first was that this is their Fortieth anniversary, they have I number of workshops that sound interesting and they have some interesting speakers for the daily luncheon keynote lectures. Also the Provincetown area is very photogenic with scenic old buildings, lighthouses, vineyards, landscapes and one of the pictures that I have envisioned is Commercial Street at night with a wet street reflecting the neon lights.

I first went to Fantasia Fair back when I first came out and I was still in awe of coming out. Back then I had a “blog” on Geocities and I wrote about the fair…
2000, October 22nd
It has been just a year since I joined COS ( Connecticut Outreach Society ), in that years’ time I went to the dinners and banquet that they have hosted and have enjoyed them all. But, the Fantasia Fair can’t come anywhere near any of those events. It’s a seven day filled with all types of presentations and evening entertainment. I went up on Tuesday with another COS member and we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast on a side street just off of Commercial Street, the main thoroughfare through town. It’s a nice little place that is very Transgender friendly.
[…]
That night’s [Thursday] entertainment was a concert by Sara Buechner on the piano and Elanie Kreston on the cello. Sara Buechner is member of the faculties of New York University and the Manhattan School of Music and she is world renown for her work. She is also a transsexual who transitioned in 1996. The four of us went to the concert. I had never been to a classical concert before and I enjoyed it. The concert was a nice change from the night before. Also at the concert we meet some other members of COS there.

2001, Sunday, Oct 14th
After we had dinner at restaurant whose name I won't mention (Which was a rip-off $35 for lobster tails, at least it was good.) we went to the reception wine and cheese party. There they introduced all of the new fair goers; there were people from all over the U.S. and Canada as well as England, Spain, Italy and Brazil. Some of us went to a restaurant and they had dinner (I just had a salad, the other restaurant for $35 at didn't include a salad.) Then I went back to the B&B around eleven.

Saturday October 27th
The gale warnings were out at the Coast Guard station, we had a full-blown Nor'easter. The rain was coming down all day and the wind turned many umbrellas inside out. I decided to forgo the morning and went to lunch at the Crown and Anchor then head back to my room for some dry clothes…

Friday, Oct. 19th
The evening's entertainment was Fantasia Follies it was a big hit. Afterwards, I went out partying with a COS member who is staying at the B&B and ended up at Roomers ( Another B&B). I got in at two in the morning and I'm paying for it today ( Saturday morning ).

2002, October 30th
Another whole year has passed once again I am writing about Fantasia Fair. I fell in love with Fantasia Fair the very first time that I went. The town of Provincetown makes the fair, from its people to its location at the tip of Cape Cod. To walk the streets and visit the shops, to be out and about not cooped up in some hotel. To feel the wind, smell the ocean and yes even to dodge the rain drops makes you feel so much more alive.

2003, Thursday October 23rd
In the evening they had a cocktail party at another B & B. Afterwards I went to get some pizza with a friend and then to another B & B where I stayed until 11:30 when I walked back to the Carpe Diem. The streets were wet from the light rain we had all day and the cold wind was whipping up the alleyways and side streets. Heels echoing on the deserted pavement. Laughter heard come from the bars and me, Diana, just walking down the street, it was so peaceful.

2004, Friday October 15th
Yesterday I went and had my back and chest waxed, ouch! ! ! Today it is still a little sore ( well more like a lot sore. ) and there is a little redness, however I think that it was worth it. I wanted to have my chest smooth for the Prom at Fantasia Fair on Tuesday night and hopefully it will be hair free for the entire event.
Right now I am taking a little time off from packing, I got my list and I am checking it twice, I don't want to forget anything. In the morning I have an appointment to have my nails done at 8:15 so that I can get an early start. But that means I have to pack the car tonight and leave around 7:45 in order to get to my appointment on time.

2005, October 16th
On the way back from registration, I overheard a couple of tourists;
Husband: "There’s another tall woman.” ( Meaning me )
Wife: "Maybe there’s a bus tour for tall women in town.”
Me: Giggling
I also went up in 2006 and 2011 and now I am going back this year. Since I transitioned I have found the fun has gone out of the trans-convention circuit, many of the workshops are on make-up or coming out and I’m not interested in them anymore. I go more to meet old friends than the workshops. Also the party ‘til 2AM is way past my bedtime now.

One thing that I don’t miss is telling little white lies about where I’m going. Back before I came out I wrote in my diary,
October 12th
It’s getting closer to the Fantasia Fair, but as it does I have to lie to Mom and Dad and I hate it! I don’t really like it and I might not go to another event, this makes me feel so bad lying to them. This is really downer. It’s not like when I use to smoke pot, because I didn’t have to come up with complicated lies, only just smoke it. This on the other hand evolves two lies, one at work - I’m going up to my brothers to help on his house and the other for family - I’m going to a computer show in Boston. Well, where in Boston , who’s going, what are you going to see, how do we get in touch with you, etc. etc…. “Oh, what a tangle web we weave when at first we do deceive… “ or however Shakespeare said it.

************************************************

October 17th
Another white lie last night, R [my brother] called and asked about my trip to Boston. I’m torn between wanting to go to Provincetown, but I hate all these lies. I have to think of a way to at least come out of the closet to R and D [my sister-in-law], but I worry about the consequence. I’m off to P’town, I made the commitment, so now I have to live with the outcome. Hopefully no more lies and that I will have a good time there and not worrying about Mom and Dad finding out.

No comments:

Post a Comment