Monday, August 04, 2014

Falcon Ridge…

I went to a concert Saturday with a friend; we met at a Park & Ride in Farmington and I drove up to Hillsdale NY where the concert was being held. Falcon Ridge Folk Festival is a three day event but I want to check it out before I went the three days.

It was only an hour and a half ride and we got there around 11 and found a place in the shade to sit, stage left from the main stage. Before the first act began I wandered around to look for my friends who were up there for the whole event and to buy some funny money and get lunch.

Funny money you say…

They have script that you use to buy food at the festival; my friend said it was to make sure the festival got their cut of the proceeds from the vendors. Besides food they also have a number of vendors selling stuff like clothes, hat, and leather goods. They also have a tent where the bands sell their CDs and sign autographs. I went off my low carb diet at lunch, I figured I’ll splurge on a potato pancake and what a pancake it was, it was the size of the 10 inch plate and about three-eighths thick… mega carbs!

When the band started to warm up, I went back to the main stage and set-up my camera and settled down. Beside the main stage they also have a workshop stage, a dance stage, and a family stage and my friend went over to the workshop stage.

As the sun worked its way around the sky I found myself in the sun and slowly cooking. a little bit about the main stage viewing area. It is on the side of small hill and they allow blankets and beach chairs in the center section but nothing tall enough to block the view of the people behind you and then father up the hill they allow tents and cabanas, on the sides you can have regular lawn chairs. Only one side has shade for the most of the day and that was where I sat.

The weather was beautiful, high in the upper 70s to low 80s, low humidity and a light wind with some clouds that prevented the sun from baking me.

During the first band a friend dropped by who works for the festival and we chatted briefly and she left off some frozen bottles of water which carries me through the day… Thanks J.

So what bands did I see… here is a short video of the pictures that I took during the concert.

So what didn’t I like, well the list is short, the iceman must go down as the most… I don’t know what. But he drove around saying in a deep voice Iiiiiiice drawing out the “I.” The other thing I didn’t like was during Ronny Cox, one of the bands that I wanted to hear, a group of teenagers (college age) sat down in front of me drinking beer, talking about college and guys. One of them was one the phone!
One thing that wasn’t on the list was the porta-potties, they were amazingly clean! That was one thing that I dreaded was using the porta-potties, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The next time that I go I'll bring a beach chair so I can sit in the center section and get a better view of the stage, a cooler with a lot of water, a hat and suntan lotion. And there will be a next time, it was a nice afternoon, I don't think that I'll go up for the festival because my tent sleeping days are over. Now if someone want to rent a RV, I might consider going the whole weekend.

I videoed a number of the songs but I don’t want to post them here, so here are the YouTube versions of the songs that I liked (minus the chatty teenagers in the background).



1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised Ronny Cox could play the guitar at all after the way his arm got busted up in "Deliverance!"

    ReplyDelete