Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Will This Case Make It To The Supreme Court?

There is another Hobby Lobby case that is making its way through the legal system, this case is about a trans-woman who works for Hobby Lobby. She was denied the use of the women’s restroom and she filed a claim with Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) alleging discrimination in employment and public accommodation.
The Transgender Rights Case Against Hobby Lobby
Newsweek
By Zach Schonfeld
Filed: 7/8/14

Sommerville, a frame shop manager, joined Hobby Lobby in 1998, when she was still living as a man. She wasn’t fired when she transitioned in 2009 or when she legally changed her name the following year. Instead, she was written up for using the women’s bathroom.

“Since then they still have denied me use of the women's restroom, even though my state ID [and] even the health benefits of my own company recognize me as female,” Sommerville told Newsweek. She also retroactively changed the gender listed on her birth certificate. “I'm just looking to be treated equally with every other female in the company—not just in the store, but in the company. If they recognize me as female for certain things, why can't they recognize me as female for everything?”
Anyone want to place some bets that this case goes all the way to the Supreme Court?

No comments:

Post a Comment