Saturday, July 19, 2014

Saturday 9: Ring of Fire

Crazy Sam’s  Saturday 9: Ring of Fire
(because country music was recommended by Colletta's Kitchen's Sink)


If you're not familiar with today's song, you can hear it here.

1) Recorded by Johnny Cash, "Ring of Fire" was written by his wife, June Carter. Johnny's daughter Roseanne says it's about "the transformative power of their love." What's your favorite love song?
Honey, but only because I heard it on the way up to the cottage.



2) Though more than 50 years old, this song is still popular today. Country Music Television named it one of the best and most requested of all time. Are you a country music fan?
Nope, long live Rock and Roll.

3) This recording features mariachi horns, inspired by Mexican folk music. Have you ever been to Mexico?
Nope, just Canada

4) Cash's birth certificate said, "J. R. Cash," and "J.R." is what his parents always called him. When he enlisted in the Air Force, Uncle Sam refused to let him simply go by initials, so he chose the name "John." If you could choose a different name for yourself, what would it be?
 I did that already, Diana was not my birth name.

5) Cash and his first wife, Vivian, had their first date at a roller skating rink. Tell us about one of your first dates.
That was so long ago… I can’t even remember what we did.

6) Cash died in September, 2003, four months after he lost his second wife, and love of his life, June. The cause of death given was complications from diabetes, but his children believe he died of a broken heart. Do you think that's possible?
Yes, that is what my father died of, my mother passed away two years before after 88 [Ops... I meant 66] years of marriage and my father lost all will to live.

7) Cash was known as "The Man in Black." What color do you wear most often?
Blue as in blue jeans.

8) There's a Johnny Cash Museum in Nashville. What's the last museum you visited?
The Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Park and the Billing’s Farm

9) A stretch of Tennessee Highway 31E is known as "Johnny Cash Parkway." What street in your town is named for a famous person?
Norton Road.

6 comments:

  1. 88 years of marriage?!? My gosh. I have never heard of someone being married that long. That's phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double ops... I was down on the deck, using the Kindle to approve comments when my fat finger hit the wrong spot and deleted The Gal Herself comment.
    The Gal Herself has left a new comment on your post "Saturday 9: Ring of Fire":

    88 years of marriage? WOW! That's a lifetime!

    I'm so jealous of your trips to the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think broken hearts might be more common in Men than women. I guess I am a little bit country and little bit rock and roll, and classical, and pop and lots of music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a cottage. :) And so sad about your parents. I can't imagine being married for 66 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny- the post above mine. For me, it's usually some dog jumped on my ipad or something.

    Long Live Rock and Roll indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many of you are putting blue for blue jeans as your favorite color. :-) I do think people lose the will to live after a spouse dies. Especially when they've been together for a long time.

    ReplyDelete