Friday, March 07, 2014

I Don’t Think So

There is a clinic at UConn for trans-women to teach about non-verbal communication and speech patterns. I thought about going but I decided not to take the class. From what I understand it is taught by graduate students at the Speech & Hearing Clinic and it is one day a week during the semester.

I thought about, some family members suggested attending something like this but in the end I decided against it. For almost 60 years I pretended to be someone who I wasn’t, I was acting to be a male and when I thought about taking classes I thought I’m through play acting. I just want to be myself and for almost seven years I got by without pretending and taken on airs.

I remember when I first was coming out and going to conferences, I used to soak up workshops about make-up and creating a more feminine presentation. One thing that we did at the support group we called it the COS obstacle course where you walked across the room, sat in chair and then picked up a pencil off the floor while we were being videotaped, we were then critiqued by our peers.

What I have learned these six plus years was just being yourself and that is the best way to assimilate in to society. When you are yourself people don’t see anything wrong, when you are comfortable being who you are you are more relaxed. When you are acting you thinking about how to move and you don’t seem nature, you have that deer in the headlight look.

No comments:

Post a Comment