Sunday, February 23, 2014

Did Michele Obama Go Too Far?

A number of years ago there was a bar in Hartford that had a black face comedian “Shirley Q. Liquor “ who did a skit as a poor black Southern woman with 19 children, a welfare boozer who speaks in Ebonics and he didn’t understand why there were protesters outside. He said,
Knipp says influences on his character come from African American women he knew while growing up in the South, such as his family's housekeeper, who had 16 kids. He has denied accusations over the years that the skit is racist and misogynist, saying the stereotypes will push discussion among blacks, whites, gay and straight people, and that blackface drag ``can actually help heal racism.''
People of power usually do not understand why what they do is seen by oppressed classes as being insulting and offensive to them. We often hear the justification we didn’t mean anything we were only having fun. But they don’t realize that there fun was at the expense of others.

It is like what I wrote last week about using the word “Tranny” people don’t realize that for some people they find the word offensive because it used to put down trans-people.

I am sure that First Lady Michelle Obama never thought what she was doing was offensive but to many trans-people it was, including me.

In case you missed it, here is the video (I debated whether I should post the video, but I felt that you should see what upset so many of us).



I am not a big fan of comedy, there are many type of comedy that gets their laughs at the expense of others like Character comedy, Insult Comedy, and Mockumentary, and these all are disrespectful other people. The only type of comedy that I like is Observational comedy or Situational comedy like comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Cosby mainly used and I hated comedians like Don Rickles whose joke were always barbs aimed at other people.

I just want to be clear, I am not offended by drag performers or show, but by the fact that comedians use us to get their laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment