Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Year In Review

OK, it is that time again when we look back at what happened over the last year; so…

This has been a good year, but quite year. Nothing much has happened over the year, there were stretches of boredom dotted with moments of flurry. In the spring I gave a workshop at True Colors conference at UConn and a workshop at the CT chapter of the National Association of Social Workers. The True Color’s workshop was on what a school policy on gender transition should include and the NASW workshop was on “Cultural Competence”

Also in the spring I went up to the cottage in New Hampshire with my brother to work on finishing the basement; a never ending project. I went up to the cottage almost every week during July and August for 3 days at a time; it was nice to be able to relax out on the deck and get away from the house. In July I went to the annual uniTy party in Vermont, I used to sleep over in a tent but I’ve gotten too old for sleeping on the ground and I drive up to the cottage instead.

In August the whole family celebrated my brother’s birthday at the lake. It is hard to think sometimes that we are now the family elders.

This fall I gave some talks at UConn, the first was at the School of Social Work where I was a guest lecturer for one of my former professors. A few weeks later I gave a workshop at the main campus in Storrs for the counselors and therapists there. Later in November I substituted for a friend while he was at a conference on the west coast, the class was a graduate class also at the main UConn campus in Storrs and the end of November saw me up there again for a panel discussion at the Rainbow Center. Then in December, I was on a panel at the UConn Health Center for medical and dental students. In the fall I submitted three workshop proposals for next spring and two of my workshops were accepted, they were for the Massachusetts chapter of the NASW conference and the True Colors Conference. I haven’t heard back from the Connecticut’s NASW chapter yet to see if I am giving another workshop in the spring.

If all that wasn’t enough, I am also on two committees, the Safe Schools Coalition and a committee on developing guidelines for LGBT elder care.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you too. Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of our community. Since I live in the Nutmeg state myself, I hope our paths cross some day so I may thank you in person.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete