Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Special

One of my regular reads on the internet is the comic strip “What Normal Anyway?” and the current comic strip is “Special” and the last panel struck a chord with me, in it he wrote,
“I guess there are perks to being special, even if it makes me ‘special’”
I find that so true. I walked into the car dealership to have me car serviced and I’m greeted by name, “Good morning Diana.” There are so many other times that people have remembered me; one time I was at the True Colors conference sitting with an acquaintance and all these people were walking by saying “Hi” to me and the person commented that I sure know a lot of people. I said that I had no idea who they were; I said “Everyone remembers the six foot tranny.”

Another time I was standing in line for our reservations at a popular local restaurant and a woman came up to me and thanked me. It turned out that I spoke in a class she was in and now she had a trans-client and she said that because of that class that day she knew how to work with the client.

Of course being treated special is not always a good thing; you get called on more in class and you all of a sudden become the ambassador for the trans-community. You might be the first and only trans-person they meet so I am always on my best behavior. Thursday I giving a presentation to counselors and therapists and I want to look my best so I’m going out to but new shoes and clothes.

So there are perks but there are also drawbacks to being “special.”

No comments:

Post a Comment