Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday 9: Seattle

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Seattle



Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) Let's get the obvious out of the way: Have you ever been to Seattle?
Yes, at 3 AM… well not really it was only midnight but my body was still on Eastern time. Our plane arrived and we drove through Seattle on our way to Everett.

2) Businessweek named Seattle one of the best places to live, citing its clean air, low crime and high employment. What makes your current hometown a great place to live?
It is where I grew up and it is in midway between Boston and New York and it is only an hour drive to the ocean and is only a couple of hours drive to the mountains of Vermont or New Hampshire. We also have great museums and places like Sturbridge Village and Mystic Seaport.

3) In this song, Bobby brags about how green Seattle is. Is it still green where you are? Or are the trees beginning to show their fall colors?
Yes, we still have a couple of weeks before the leaves turn here.

4) This song was the theme of a 1968-1970 show called Here Come the Brides. Do you know the words to any other TV theme?
Nope, seems like a waste of time.

5) Bobby Sherman was once America's #1 teen idol, selling millions of records and earning 5 Gold Albums. Girls who wrote to his fan club received a postcard back signed, "Peace, Love & Bobby Sherman." Have you ever belonged to a fan club?
Nope, another waste of time.

6) Alas, the career of a teen idol can be short, and by fall 1970, Bobby was replaced on magazine covers by David Cassidy. Sherman went on to a second career with the LAPD, instructing officers in CPR and first aid. Do you know how to perform CPR? The Heimlich Maneuver?
Yes and yes and I also know how to use an AED.

7) The "disc" you see shown is actually made of cardboard and was printed on the back of a Post Alpha-Bits cereal box. It was one of four that Post printed on different cereals back in 1970 so that Bobby-loving little girls would have to go through lots of different cereals to collect the whole set. What's your favorite breakfast cereal?
Generic granola, I usually buy the cereal with the lowest carbs.

8) Crazy Sam can't decide if she wants berries or banana slices with her cereal. Which would be your choice?
Since I just bought strawberries today and bananas are too high in potassium, I’ll stick with the berries.

9) Do you ever eat cereal straight out of the box? Drink milk directly from the carton?
Probably when I was a teenager.

4 comments:

  1. How cool is it that question #1 reflects your recent travels!

    Either you and I interpreted question #4 differently, or you are my hero. For while I don't consciously MEMORIZE a lot of pop culture tidbits (which I agree would often be a waste of time), hundreds ... thousands ... perhaps MILLIONS have penetrated my cranium almost against my will. For example, the 10-note intro to the local news after a commercial break -- I could hum it for you right now, but I certainly never intended to remember it. But after hearing it several times every half hour, over the weeks and months, it's in my head. I didn't memorize it, I don't care about it, and yet it's in there. I'm always afraid my brain will be full, and I'll be an old lady unable to remember where I left my keys but I'll still be able to sing the lyrics to The Brady Bunch (which, again, I never intentionally MEMORIZED but somehow I know). So if you can truly control your subconscious, you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You interpreted my answer correctly. After a few years of watching a TV program the theme song does get pounded into your head.
    Like the theme song for the Mary Tyler Moore Show

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited Mystic many years ago. It was a very quaint town. I love New England.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice answers.
    Seattle is definitely on my list of places I'd like to visit, but it hasn't happened, yet.

    ReplyDelete