Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Last Week Was The 150th Anniversary of Gettysburg

This is something that I always thought I might like to do…
Gettysburg 150: Transgender re-enactor no longer hiding
Barbara Ann Myers was always interested in history and knew as a child what costume she would wear.
By BRANDIE KESSLER
Daily Record/Sunday News
Posted:   07/06/2013

 In a sea of 12,000 re-enactors, Barbara Ann Myers stood out.

Though she was pretending as much as the others dressed up to play a persona as a living historian or re-enactor during the third day of the Gettysburg Anniversary Committee's re-enactment, Myers was no longer hiding.

Wearing drawers, a corset and camise layered under her hoop skirt, petticoat and dress, Myers peeked out from under a teal bonnet cap at the wares on tables inside sutlers' tents.

She looked every bit a lady of the 1860s, shopping at the market.
I knew someone from here in Connecticut who was a civil war reenactor but she was given a hard time at the reenactments and the last time I talked to her she was dropping out. I hope that she is once again reenacting. Another friend is a Roman reenactor and he also does World War II reenacting. I don't know if I would want to be a Roman reenactor, but maybe a WW II reenactor, I could be a WAC.

No comments:

Post a Comment