Thursday, July 25, 2013

I’m Off To Attend A Workshop…

There is a workshop that I’m going to now that is being facilitated by a friend; the workshop is “What Can You Do to Fight Intolerance?” at the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center in Hartford.
Racism, xenophobia and intolerance are prevalent problems.  Prejudice and discrimination are reflected throughout United States history from European-American exploitation of Native Americans and enslavement of people of African descent; job discrimination against the Irish; World War II internment of Japanese Americans; state-sponsored racial segregation of Mexican Americans; Jim Crow laws, and the War on Drugs that results in mass incarceration of African Americans.
[…]
To encourage conversation and solution-building, the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center presents What Can You Do to Fight Intolerance?, a free workshop on July 25 from 5-7 p.m., facilitated by Dr. William A. Howe, CT Department of Education. Reservations are encouraged: 860-522-9258, ext. 317 or Info @ StoweCenter.org.

I've never been to the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center but I have driven by the house and I believe the center is right behind the house and next to the Mark Twain house.

Update 8:30
It was a great workshop, great interaction with other attendees and I came away with somethings that I can use in my workshops. One of the things that I can use when I teach culture competence is a good icebreaker; "What are you proud of your culture?" and "What do you wish they wouldn't say about your culture?" we had two minutes to give your answer the person next to you and then they had two minutes to tell you their answer.

1 comment: