Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Did You Know…

…That one of the writers for WKRP in Cincinnati was a trans-woman? PJ Torokvei died last week at age 62 of liver failure, she had transitioned twelve years earlier. She was a comedian and writer on Second City and SCTV and she was a friend of John Candy and wrote many of his movies such as Caddyshack.
Remembering PJ Torokvei: Comedy Genius Behind 'WKRP' Was Transgender Trailblazer
The Hollywood Reporter
By As told to Scott Feinberg
7/9/13

Producer Stan Brooks recalls how the screenwriter, who died July 3 at age 62, revealed his plans to become a woman: “I was hoping for Christie Brinkley; I fear I'm heading toward Bea Arthur.”

PJ Torokvei, a Canadian-born comedy writer and producer who decided at age 50 to become a woman, died as a result of complications from liver failure on July 3 at the age of 62. Torokvei, whose name was originally Peter, was an alum of Second City and SCTV, and went on to serve as a producer and the head writer of WKRP in Cincinnati (1979-1982), for which she and her colleagues received two Emmy nominations for Outstanding Comedy Series. She also co-wrote the films Real Genius (1985), Back to School (1986), Caddyshack II (1988) and Guarding Tess (1994). She is survived by an ex-wife, a son, a daughter and grandchildren.
I cannot wonder if her drinking was the result of the stress of living with a “terrible secret,” I see so many trans-people who are fighting drugs and alcoholism. In the survey “Injustice at Every Turn” they found that,
Over a quarter of the respondents misused drugs or alcohol specifically to cope with the mistreatment they faced due to their gender identity or expression.
The survey didn’t ask about the use of drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism for being trans but I can’t help think that we have a much higher use of drugs or alcohol than the general population.


The article goes on to talk about her transition…
Peter informed me that he had to live as a woman for a year before a surgeon would do the operation. We talked often that year. We even pitched a movie to Showtime with his former writing partner from WKRP. With each subsequent visit Peter was transforming. And it wasn't easy. Long hours of electrolysis, heavy doses of hormones. Pierced ears. Learning how to put on fake eyelashes. I heard it all, and always with humor. I began to understand the painful double life he led to this point. At one juncture, I asked him, “Why not just be gay and come out of the closet?” Peter's answer was all too obvious and drove home his anguish.

“If only it was that easy. I wish I could do that. I'm not a man. I'm not attracted to gay men. No more than heterosexual women are attracted to them.”

I had my “a-ha moment.”
Even while under the stress of transition she still maintained her sense humor…
...I asked her if she thought she'd be an attractive woman of a certain age. And with her characteristic humor she replied, “I was hoping for Christie Brinkley, I fear I'm heading toward Bea Arthur.”

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about PJ. But I loved WKRP and SCTV and Caddyshack!

    ReplyDelete