Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Battle Hymn of the Republic



1) This recording was made live at St. Patrick's Cathedral, during Sen. Robert Kennedy's funeral. While both of Bobby's older brothers were decorated war heroes, he served too -- enlisting in the Navy in 1943. Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
Yes, my father. He was in WWII and was in the Coast Artillery and was stationed on Fisher’s Island protecting the Submarine Base in New London from German submarines and then after they were no longer a threat he went to the Pacific theater. (My father is on the right and the photo is from when the National Guard was training on Fisher's Island at Fort Wright in 1939)

2) Memorial Day also kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food?
Three guesses and the first two don’t count… clam chowder (I have to now have Rhode Island instead of New England clam chowder because of the cream & flour have too many carbohydrates since I became diabetic), steamers and lobster. I can’t have beer anymore also because of the carbs.

3) Name a scent that reminds you of someone special in your life.
Lavender, my grandmother use to wear it all the time.

4) When was the last time you had your hair cut or trimmed?
What hair? I just buy a new wig three times a year.

5) Crazy Sam runs on Dunkin'. Are you loyal to a particular brand of coffee?
Dunkin. The town finally now has a Starbucks, but we have three Dunkin Donuts in town.

6) If money was no object, what home improvement would you like to make this summer?
After a new roof, a new living and dining rooms hardwood floor and painting the rooms I want to bump out the kitchen four feet and make it three feet wider and then get new kitchen cabinets.

7) What was the last thing you bought purely for your own enjoyment?
A new car.

8) When was the last time you rode a bike?
Long, long… long time ago, but I want to get a bike because they have rail-to-trails around the state.

9) Sam worries that many of her song selections reflect her decidedly Baby Boomer sensibilities. Is there a song or a performer that you'd like to see featured in a Saturday 9 this summer?
As a Baby Boomer I say it is just right. However, if you want suggestions, the Kingston Trio or the Mamas and the Papas or some other folk music.

7 comments:

  1. I love lavender as well. I can't wear perfumes because I have allergic reactions to them. So I have to use essential oils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was in WWII as well, He was in the military police and took German Prisoners from Nova Scotia to Texas. They were captured in the desert and Geneva convention stated they had to be imprisoned in similar climates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in New England we were surrounded by dunkin donuts. Back in LA we don't have but are surrounded by Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your home improvement ideas! I love hardwood floors, too...we're currently saving up to get the downstairs done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so fascinated at my father's service in WWII. I just can't believe all they did and saw at that young age. Could you imagine kids today being like that.

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that impressive photo of your dad. And it might be fun to do a folkie Saturday 9

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the last region of the world with no Starbucks, I think. But I do love me some Dunkin'!

    ReplyDelete