Monday, May 13, 2013

Here Is A Big Surprise… Not!

This is from the Health and Human Services last month…
Research suggests that LGBT individuals face health disparities linked to societal stigma, discrimination, and denial of their civil and human rights. Discrimination against LGBT persons has been associated with high rates of psychiatric disorders, substance abuse and suicide. Experiences of violence and victimization are frequent for LGBT individuals, and have long-lasting effects on the individual and the community. Personal, family, and social acceptance of sexual orientation and gender identity affects the mental health and personal safety of LGBT individuals.
I think anyone who has attended a trans support group or know other trans-people know that this is true.

Before I came out I never knew anyone who committed suicide or even tried to commit suicide, I never knew anyone who was a cutter, I never knew anyone who drug addict, I never knew anyone with AIDS/HIV and I never knew anyone who worked the streets. All that changed when I came out of the closet.

On the website Center for American Progress they wrote,
The stress that comes from daily battles with discrimination and stigma is a principle driver of these higher rates of substance use, as gay and transgender people turn to tobacco, alcohol, and other substances as a way to cope with these challenges. And a lack of culturally competent health care services also fuels high substance-use rates among gay and transgender people.
I think one of the keys to lower the levels of substance abuse is “culturally competency” healthcare providers must understand what we are going though, they have to recognize our fear of getting medical help or going to a homeless shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment