Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Something That I Never Considered

What will be on my death certificate?

I can honestly say that I never thought of that before until I read an article on the Transgender Law Center blog.
In addition, California law does not provide sufficient direction to the person preparing a death certificate about how to identify the person’s sex. In some cases, this has meant that the death certificate for a transgender person fails to accurately reflect that person’s gender identity. (see also: Remembering Christopher Lee, Achieving Justice for Our Loved Ones)
[…]
Death Certificates: Under existing law, a state death certificate must include certain personal data about the deceased, including the person’s sex. This bill would clarify that the sex indicated on the death certificate should be the sex that corresponds to the person’s gender identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment