Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Sandy – Made It Through With No Damage.

I only lost power for about 15hrs. The storm wasn't bad until right after I talked to my brother around 2PM and then the wind started to pick-up. Around 7 the wind was howling and lights stated to flicker, then went off a little while later and the power came back on around 10:30 this morning. I went out breakfast with the other refugees at a local dinner (it was packed) and when I got back, the lights were on.

The trains are not going anywhere; this is the main Amtrak line that goes through my town.


Most of the damage from the hurricane was from coastal flood, the wind was blowing right down Long Island Sound and the water was piling up at the western end. They had an eleven foot storm surge on top of a full moon high tide. Here are some photos from the Hartford Courant.

Milford damage
( John Woike, Hartford Courant / October 30, 2012 )

A couple that I know who use to live in Milford on Long Island Sound just finished rebuilding after Hurricane Irene. They sold it two weeks ago and I feel sorry for the people who bought it (This is not their former house, but it is in the same area as theirs).

Dock & Dine in Old Saybrook on the Connecticut River, just opened a couple of weeks ago after the hurricane Irene and now it gets flooded out again.
Dock & Dine in Old Saybrook
( Jim Shea / October 30, 2012 )

Over 600,000 people were without power at the height of the storm but it was way less than last year’s blizzard that happened exactly one year ago. Then over a million people were without power and I was one of them. I lost power for three days while many others lost power over 10 days.

Update 3:30PM:
They just had on the news that hurricane Sandy surpassed the hurricane of 1938 in the height of the storm surge by a foot. Making it the worst hurricane in the history of  Connecticut. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you are alright. We lost a tree to the storm but that was it. The power was out 2 hours but the only lasting inconvenience is that our cable is still out. We have no TV, internet or land line but that is mild compared to what others are facing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you made it also with only minor damage. You were on the rainy side and we were on the windy side of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So relieved that you made it with no damage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.

    I was Kind of boring... I was watching Netflixs and reading all day because all they had on TV was about the storm. When the power went off I read my Kindle but after 2 hours I got tired of reading by the gas lantern so I went to bed at 9.

    ReplyDelete