Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Story Part 124 – Happy Birthday

This week marks my 5th year since I transitioned. I wish that I could report some earth shattering observations or revelations, but I can’t. All I can report is life has been less stressful and I have been able to “get a life” instead of hiding at home and worrying about discovery. I suppose that in itself is important, that my quality of life has drastically improved

When I had to write my “Personal Statement” to apply for grad school, I wrote
“In coming out, I leaned self-acceptance and in gaining this acceptance came empowerment. This has become a valuable tool in which to help others.  Self-acceptance allows one to not only believe in themselves but that all things are possible – even social change and social justice.”
I think self-acceptance and self-esteem are the keys. Whether you transition or not, self-acceptance reduces the agony and stress of being transgender. When I first went out in public, I was scared of what other people would think, I was worried about what they will say or do and as a result I had that “deer in the headlight” look, ready to bolt at the slightest hint of trouble. Now I don’t care what strangers say because they are the ones with the problem not me.

It hasn’t been easy, there were a lot of ups and downs, there were a lot of nights crying myself to sleep and there were many of times when I doubted that I was on the right path. But as Tom Hank 's character Jimmy Dugan says in A League Of Their Own, "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." In the end it made me a stronger person.

1 comment:

  1. Diana,
    The relief when one achieves self-acceptance is so important. One can't fight oneself all of the time and still have energy to have a normal life. While I am not going to transition, accepting my place on the transgender scale allowed me to reach a level of peace that I cannot remember ever having. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete