Monday, March 05, 2012

LGBT History

When I was first going out in public as Diana, I saw a flier advertising a talk at the University of Hartford, a woman PhD candidate was going to talk on her thesis “LGBT” in the media. It sounded like it would be interesting so I attended it with some friends. This woman from some college in Pennsylvania talked for about an hour on "LG" and then had a Q&A session afterward. During her whole talk she didn’t mentioned one TV show or movie that had a trans character in it, when we questioned her on it, she said that she didn’t find any shows or movies that had a trans-character or plot. We started to name shows which had a trans-character, like the “The Education of Max Bickford” and she stood there dumbfounded, she had not a clue. If I was her PhD adviser, I would have flunked her.

While I was in grad school, I got an email advertising a library exhibit on “LGBT” history at UConn's main campus and once again I rounded up some friends and we went up to see the show… well surprise, the show was all “LG” and no "T"!

I went down to a Pride Festival in Norwalk in 2009, the 40th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising and they had all these posters up around the festival about the Stonewall Uprising and they were all about “Gays” and not one word any of the trans-people who were there. When I talked to the person who made the posters, he was so proud of them and when I asked him about trans-people like Sylvia Rivera, Miss Majors and Marsha P. Johnson, he had a blank expression on his face and he said that he never heard of any of them.

Later that month I received an invitation from the director of the Rainbow Center at UConn asking if I want to do a lecture for her class and I knew right away what I was going to talk about… “T” history. I developed a presentation called “The History of Trans Activism: From World War II to the Present” and I will be given it again at the True Colors conference at 10:45 on March 17

There was also an article about the news media lumping trans-people with “gays”.
Transgender Issues: Some Media Still Confused About the ‘LGBT’ Term
Montreal Gazette
By Jillian Page
March 2, 2012

Another media story today, this one on the CBS site, seems to think that being gay and being a trans person are synonymous. It’s a myth perpetuated by some religious organizations, ie. that if you are a trans woman in a relationship with a man, you are gay. And it seems that some media organizations are still stuck in that mindset.

The CBS article is about a “full service senior centre” in NYC that caters to lesbians, gays, bisexuals and trans people. Except the article says the centre was designed specifically for gay folks. The headline reads: New NYC center caters to gay and lesbian seniors
I don’t know if it is a “myth perpetuated by some religious organizations” or it is just plan ignorance or laziness on the reporters part. However, whatever the reason is some people want to lump lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people all under the umbrella of “gay” and as a result we lose our unique history of the trans-community.

6 comments:

  1. Exactly my feelings also, Diana.
    As a man, I loved a woman but she died.
    Now as a woman, I still love a woman. What makes a person think I have changed my feelings toward another person? My outward appearance has changed, but my brain is still the brain I had when I was a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana,

    I think it truly is ignorance. As a straight person, who genuinely loves everybody regardless of sexual or gender orientation, I still have questions.
    Mainly just personal questions that I would never ask for fear of being rude, or perceived as ignorant. But lets face it, I'm ignorant!
    What is your story like? What is it like to be a transgender person? How do you want to be perceived? What is the right way to handle situations that are so out of a mainstream straight person's realm of understanding- not because they don't want to understand, but because we never will!
    We've NEVER had to come up against the same issues you have, and that makes it tough for us to understand where you're coming from.

    Please do a blog on this so that us ignorant mainstream straight people can get as close as possible to understanding and being sensitive to your needs!

    PS Love your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good start to your questions are my "My Story" series. It is a series of blogs that I do each week about the personal aspects of being transgender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so it is not right to lump "trans" people with gays and lesbians but it is okay for you to lump transsexuals with transvestites under "trans" and "transgender".

    So where is the difference here?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all gender nonconforming. While crossdressers may be attracted to either the opposite sex or the same sex, they all dress in the clothes of the opposite gender from their birth gender. They all face discrimination based on their gender identity or expression.

    Also the term transvestites is consider derogatory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So here we have the pot, (an ignorant TG), calling the kettle, an ignorant gay), black!

    N.B. The term "ignorant" is used in its literal, (NON-DEROGATORY) sense.

    I am neither "cis", nor "gay", nor "gender non-conforming".

    "My outward appearance has changed, but my brain is still the brain I had when I was a man"

    Are these the words of a TV, a CD or a TG?

    ReplyDelete