Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day Eight At Fantasia Fair – Home!

I’m Home!

This morning I went to the Farewell Brunch and said my good-byes. There were a lots of hugs, a lots of tears and a lot of exchanging emails. Then I went back to the cottage, took a nap and then headed home around 12:30.

Fantasia Fair is fantastic! But I think I have outgrown it. Basically I went this year to give the presentation and for the luncheon keynote addresses. At the first keynote address I didn’t hear anything that I didn’t already know and the other keynote address that that I wanted to hear, the speaker was sick and didn’t make it to the fair. Don’t get me wrong, I think that Fantasia Fair is great, but it is just not for me anymore. I out grew it. There are just so may time you can hear a talk on make-up or voice training or a talk about coming out to family. For a newcomer these workshops are great and it also great for trans-people who for various reasons can’t get out dresses much, it gives them a whole week to go out en-femme and to go out in a safe place.

It is also expensive for someone who is living on a pension. I didn’t go out to eat at night, but instead I had dinner with my friends at the cottage and that saved a whole mess of money. Normally when I went to the fair we ate out each night and we always went to a fancy restaurant which added up to $Big Bucks$. Also this year I shared the a cottage with some friends so my half of the rent was $450 a big difference from staying at a Bed & Breakfast which can run over a $1000 a week.

1 comment:

  1. So it goes. You've tansitioned. And many of these events are so geared towards those in transition and the CDers. Which is fine, but those of us who have completed transition sometimes don't get much out of these. Particularly after several years. It's just the way things are.

    ReplyDelete