Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where I’ve Been For The Last Couple Of Days… To Campaign School

What!

Yes, I was at Campaign School, within the UConn School of Social Work there is the Nancy A. Humpreys Institute for Political Social Work and every year they have a two day seminar on how to run for office and run a campaign. This year I attended and I am very glad that I did, it was very informative and I can’t say enough about it.

First, let me say that I am not now and never will be a candidate for public office. (Doesn’t that sound like a sound bite for a person running for office?)

Okay, why did I go to the seminar?

As we fight for our human rights, we need to become more visible, as Harvey Milk said, “Come out, come out wherever you are.” Where would a trans-person be more visible to people who have the power to change the laws, then working for a candidate. If my memory is correct, there were five trans-candidates that ran for office and only one won, and the person who won, won in San Francisco. Therefore, I think the most viable option for us is to work on a campaign.

Another reason why I attended the seminar is because what I learned can be carried over to other passions in my life. Learning how to manage campaign can be helpful in trying to pass gender inclusive anti-discrimination laws. Organizing a lobbying campaign need the skills sets as running for office.

If we are going to be lobbying for our rights, we have to know how legislators think. What better way to learn that then learning how they run for office.

Lastly, I did it to be visible (see my first reason for attending). I knew a number of legislators would be coming in to talk to the group and I wanted to be seen by them. Unfortunately, there had only two public officials that came in to talk and one of them was a friend. The other was a legislator on the Judiciary Committee and we made eye contact, I think that in that split second I saw recognition… she connected me with the hearings and the vote for our bill last week.

Now, back to my homework so that I can graduate this May.

2 comments:

  1. What a great experience. And so important for your major. Do you wish it had come earlier in your program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they offered it every year, but I thought “I’m now going to be running office, so why attend.” However, it was a classmate friend who is one of the interns for the institute who suggested it to me and she is also an intern for one the legislator who came to speak to us. By the way, the legislator has a
    MSW.

    ReplyDelete