Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Story Part 69 – The Advantages Of School

OK, OK, I written about school before and I’ll probably write about it again. But this time I am writing about some of the advantages of being a student… discounts!!!! OK, are you ready for this? Software… Adobe Photoshop CS5, Adobe sells it for $1,299. At the student Co-op, $179! Microsoft Office retail $279 and the student edition is $129 at the Co-op.

Movies, theater and other events offer a student discounts… all gone in two months. I took advantage of my student ID to go to the Wadsworth Atheneum: Museum of Art many times.

However, what I think I will miss most are the conferences. Yesterday, I went to a Civil Rights conference giving by the United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut at Quinnipiac University and it was an excellent learning experience that I will no longer be able to attend once I graduate. Every week at school there was always some type of lecture being held on campus that was open to the students. I will miss them; it was a great way to learn.

As I said, yesterday’s conference was excellent. The keynote was given by the Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez and he emphasized that the Obama administration is strongly behind Civil Rights. That under the Obama presidency the budget for civil rights received the largest increase ever. He also mentioned something I thought was very important, that Civil Rights should not be poll tested.
They also had the father of Matthew Shepard and the Sheriff who investigated the murder. It was very emotional. The governor also spoke at the conference and he reiterated that not only will he sign the gender inclusive anti-discrimination bill, but he will advocate on its behalf.

I met a friend from the CT Dept of Ed, Title IX and Civil Rights Compliance office there, he was giving a workshop on bullying in schools. However, I didn't go to the workshop that he gave, instead I attended a workshop on the Fair Housing Act given be a HUD official. However, we had lunch together, along with the other panelist for his workshop.

You can read about the conference here.

No comments:

Post a Comment