Thursday, June 17, 2010

On The Road Days 10 & 11 – Home! Home At Last!

Yesterday I found out that the repair shop ordered the wrong part to fix the transmission on my cousin’s van and that it would not be ready until sometime Friday. Since I had to go to meet people on Friday to pick up material for Saturday’s Fairfield County Pride in Norwalk and also I would run out of my meds Thursday night, I rented a car to drive home. I left Asheville at 11:00AM and I arrived at my niece’s house in central New Jersey at 10:30PM. I left her house at 7:10AM and I made it to the rental place at Bradley airport at 10:50AM, so I was charged only for one day’s rental. Now I’m waiting for my cousin’s husband to pick me up and bring me to his house so that I can be reunited with my car.

The only bummer was that I didn’t check out the car first and when I got to Bradley, they found a scratch on the side if the car.

Overall I enjoyed the trip, even though it cost me twice what I budgeted. I thought the Smithsonian Air and Space museum was great and I glad that we went, it was well worth the price (it’s free).

I liked the day trips along the Blue Ridge Parkway that I took; the scenery was breath taking, along with the drop-offs on the side of the road. On some of the sections of the highway, the only thing protected you from a thousand foot precipice was an old wooden guardrail. However, the first day’s trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway with the detour wasn’t that great, until the detour went through the Pisgah National Forest.

The wedding on Saturday was beautiful and the location was fantastic! The next day’s brunch with all the family was nice and so was going to Asheville for dinner. Asheville at ten o’clock at night on a Sunday was hopping.

Monday, the whole family got together again at my brother’s and sister-in-law’s rented house and we had a southern style barbeque. All of my brother’s and sister-in-law’s children and grandchildren were there and my cousin’s family were there.

I liked the Asheville area, but…
It seemed like once you got outside the city, all the road went up the side of mountains on winding roads. The distances on the map between the cabin that my cousin rented and the one my brother rented was only a couple of miles apart by straight line but many miles on switchback roads. The other thing that I didn’t like about Asheville was the heat and humidity, I do not tolerate heat and humidity. I was sitting outside Sunday night and sweat was running down my back.

Here are the links for the trip...
Day One,
Day Four,
Day Five,
Day Six,
Day Seven,
Day Eight,
Day Nine.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome home! I also do not tolerate heat and humidity well. I wouldn't last long there.

    ReplyDelete