Saturday, January 09, 2010

Saturday Six – Episode 300

Patrick's Place Saturday Six – Episode 300

1. From the scenario described above, would you press the button if the stranger claimed that you’d immediately receive $10 million, but a total stranger elsewhere would die: would you press the button?
Nope! My life is a lot more valuable to me than $10 million.

2. What if the offer were increased to $50 million, but the catch was that someone you know personally — either family, a friend, a co-worker, or an acquaintance — would die, and you’d have no control of who it was: would you press the button?
Nope! I would consider it murder.

3. What if he told you that pushing the button would give you $10 million, but that an inmate on death row would die of natural causes: would you press the button?
Nope! I do not think anything justifies taking a human life.

4. What if, in addition to the scenario in #2, he confirmed that the death row inmate had genuinely committed the crime of which he was convicted, so there was no chance of killing an “innocent” man: would you then press the button?
Nope! I do not believe in capital punishment.

5. What if, instead of any of those scenarios, the stranger said pressing the button would give you $1 million dollars and the knowledge of exactly what day and what time you would die: would you still press the button?
That would be too scary to even think. I think you would go insane with the knowledge of your death.

6. And what if, instead of any other scenario, the stranger told you that pressing the button would give you just $10,000, but that you’d also have a one-hour, one-on-one encounter with God, removing all doubt that He exists, but that you’d then have to live a life that reflected your newly-found knowledge. Would you press the button?
Yes, I would even do it for free. Since I believe in God, I wouldn’t have much of a problem with learning that He exists. I would love to ask Him about the origins of the universe and why there is evil in the world.

1 comment:

  1. My answers are very similar to yours. Glad I'm "the weird one"--at least there are a couple of us! :-)

    ReplyDelete