Sunday, January 03, 2010

Connecticut Outreach Society’s Annual Banquet

Every year since I have been a member of COS they have had an annual banquet and this year is no exception. And every year we rack our brains for find a guest speaker and this year our director invited a friend and actor to be our keynote speaker, Peterson Toscano.

I remember the first banquet that I went to, it was one of the first times that I ventured out in public as Diana. Back then every time I went out in public was an adventure. I wrote in my diary…

May 14, 2000

I did it…. The banquet was GREAT.
I got there a little after 2:30 to help them setup. I walked by the room twice and didn’t recognizes anyone, they were all in boy mode. Then I spotted K and I knew it was the right room. Helped them (K, J and B) until we finished around 4:30. Went up to my room (Yep I rented a room at the hotel for the night) to change into my dress and makeup.

The evening was great, about 50 people were there, dinner was good and the speakers and entertainment also. Then at 11 it ended and we torn down the stage. We finished around midnight and I was beat…The heels. I didn’t sleep to good I was all wound up, to many Cokes
(Caffeine). I got up early and left for home, lucky I did, Mom called around 9. I hate telling them lies…but the truth will hurt them to much….sigh.

Oh yea, I forgot. . While the show was on kids at the hotel were peeking through the windows, I could hear them laughing and giggling. Some of the acts were funny, the songs they did was a gas.


The following year, I wrote,

March 4th, 2001
Last night was the COS Annual Banquet, the turn out was a lot less than last year’s. Only forty-two people compared to around sixty before. I had a good time, I got there around three o’clock and went to see if they needed any help in stetting up, they didn’t it was pretty much all done by that time. During the COS Follies I ran the spot light again this year.

They also had the installation of the new Executive Director A as K stepped down and passed the
torch. I was elected to the board as a “Member at Large”. A couple of weeks ago Dad was trying to get me to join a service organization, little did he know that I already had, just not the type he thought. I also got an award last night, a complete surprise! It was for the newcomer who helped out the most.

After the Banquet some of those that were left went downto the motel bar for more drinks. Mixing with the common folks, I stayed to a little after one. Those that know me know that I rarely stay up past ten on most nights, so you know that I must have been having a good time. At the bar I also found out that J besides being a professor at a university, also runs a computer Internet company and that E besides performing in Drag she also has a job with web design company. She was interested in that I was doing streaming video on the web. Even networking at the Banquet, you never know when it might come in handy


This year’s banquet is March 20th and for many of the member, this will be their first or only time that they go out in public. For them the excitement of the event will be something that they will always remember.

The banquet details will be posted on their web-site once they are finalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment