Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Story Part 11 – Coming Out At Work

This is going to be a short story this week, I’m still writing term papers.

As I was becoming more politically active and almost living full time as Diana, I started to think that I needed an ally at work and in addition, the pressure of keeping it a secret was mounting.

I was talking to the Human Resources manager that I have known for over twenty years both as a friend and co-worker. Over the years of our friendship, I knew that she was accepting of gays and lesbians and that her daughter had a friend that is gay (her daughter is straight). So one Friday afternoon, as we finished what we were working on together, she asked me what was I going to be doing for the weekend, and I said that I was going to a semi-formal fundraising reception. She said, “Oh are you going to be wearing a tux?”

I sat there for a second or two before replying, “No… not quite.” “Let me tell you a story…” I told about being transsexual, she asked some questions while I was tell my story and when I finished, she said that they are having a 1/3 off dress sale at the department store in town and the gowns are on sale.

We still met once or twice a year for lunch with some other friends from work that have stood by me in my transition.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to have such an understanding co-worker to make your revelation to.

    ReplyDelete