Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Cottage

I was planning on staying up at our cottage in New Hampshire until Sunday but the weather wasn’t that great, cloudy, with a chance of showers, very windy and a high of around 60F, so I came home today. Its ten degrees warmer here in Connecticut and no wind.

Opening the cottage went with out a hitch, there were no problems with turning on the water. Closed all the values that had to be closed, opened all the values that had to be opened, put on all the drain caps in the pipes, turned on the water pump and sat back listening for the tell tail hiss of a leak. Silence, only the sound of the pump.

Friday after I turned on the water and the gas, I walked down to the lower deck by the water (The one I am standing on in my avatar.), the wind was whipping across the water making white caps on the lake and I went back inside to get warm and out of the wind. That night around 3:00am I woke with a start, the dock was missing! Every fall we take the dock out of the water and store in up on the beach tying it to a tree because the ice would tear it apart. In the morning, I looked out the window and the dock was missing! So, I took the canoe out to look for it but the wind was blowing me down the lake so I had to come back to shore. SHIT! Hopefully the floats are not punctured and that someone saw it brought it to shore before it got damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment