Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It was a Great Day Today

I went to the state Capital today for Lobbying Day and it was standing room only in the Hearing room at the Legislative Office Building where the educational forum was held. There were a number of legislators and in addition a large number of allies who showed up to listen to the panel discussion. The Question and Answer period was short but the questions asked were positive, indicating that they were egger to go out and lobby.

After the forum finished, I went over to the Capital to talk to my representative but the House was in session so I had a long wait until he came out and talked to me. He told me that he fully supported and would help it to get it on the floor for a vote this year. In the area roped off for the lobbyist, we had the most lobbyist, we probably had about twenty people there to lobby for gender equality.

There were a number of students there from area colleges, who were there as allies and they wanted to know what they could do to help. Also, there were a number of trans-people who showed up; I know a lot trans-people in the community but there were a number of trans-people there that I never met before. So that was a good sign that we got the word out.

The only drawback was that I was wearing high heels and had to stand on the hard marble floor for two hours until my representative was free to talk to me. My feet were killing me, when I got home I soaked my feet in hot water… Ahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment