Friday, February 01, 2008

Help! I Have A Question for Everyone

I have a family of mice living in the joists between my first floor and second floor...how do get rid of them?
I have no idea how they get into the house but I hear their little feet pitter-pattering running up and down on the ceiling. If they were only quiet guests I wouldn't mind, but they have noisy little feet. I tried putting peanut butter by my recessed lights (One time a mouse feel through the recessed light onto my kitchen counter, right next to the stove, missing a pot of boiling pasta by inches.).

8 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Boiled mouse! A favorite. did you try any of the variety of mouse traps? There are exterminators who do this also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that I am terrified of mice. We had some two winters ago and I just broke down and called an exterminator. It was well worth the money they charged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get a very small cat and stick it in there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. mothballs... Every fall and spring, I throw a handful of mothballs in the attic and in the toolshed. The critters can't stand the smell and hit the road ASAP. Your house may smell of mothballs for a day or two especially if it warms up, but it its worth it because it works. Also, gets rid of bats. A state wildlife agent taught me this trick when I was trying to get rid of bats in my belfry at my previous house. A $1 box of mothballs sure beat the exterminator's estimate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What ever happened to the mouse problem? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are still there. The problem with all the suggestions is that I cannot get to them with out cutting holes in the celling. There is no way to get at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there is a light fixture near the trouble spot, you can remove it temporarily and throw some mothballs up into the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, they are recessed lighting.

    ReplyDelete