Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How Did We Get Here?

I am old enough to remember President Kennedy’s campaign speech on his religious beliefs. The general concern at the time was that he would bring his Catholic tenants to office with him and the line that defined the separation of church and state would have been violated. Now some forty plus years later the debate is not only who is the most religious, but also who is the most Christian; shattering the line separating the church and state. However, not only Christian beliefs; but orthodox Christian beliefs in the old testament that are based on oppression and not love, understanding and acceptance.

Do we want a government based on the beliefs that deny us so much of the freedom that we have had in the last forty years? I want a government that believes that: we are only the stewards of the land not on the beliefs that this is my land and I can do what I want on it. I want a government: that lets me determine what I want to do with my body not which bans abortions or birth control. I want a government: that helps the poor, not a government that says screw you, I got mine. I want a government that believes that: in religious freedom not a government that says that we are a Christian nation. Lastly, I want a government that believes in marriage based on love not on religious beliefs that are not shared by everyone but only a few.

How did we get to the point where we now have a litmus test on religion?

4 comments:

  1. I just want a country that follows the Constitution. It is well written and keeps our rights from bouncing back and forth with the changing political powers. If courts really interpreted the Constitution as it was intended, it would result in more stability. The Constitution can evolve over time, but through a process put in place at the time of its signing - amendments. Rights for blacks and women came about because of amendments. And as amendments, it is extremely difficult for a liberal or conservative president, a liberal or conservative congress, or liberal or conservative courts to overturn the will of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with you, but I was talking about the way in which we chose the President. How did we arrive at having a religious litmus test to elect the President?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Di,
    Some peeps use religion just to get votes. It's so stupid but that's the way it is. Some people are one one issue voters. If they only realized that the religious people that they vote for are really devils...
    Luvs,
    Deja

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think too many people have confused religious freedom with “Christian” freedom.

    ReplyDelete