Saturday, June 09, 2007

Sexism

I noticed something at work, I deal with a lot of vendors at work and when I have told them that I am retiring and that the plant is shutting down, I get two different responses. From the men their reply is almost most of the time; “Great you can be out on the links every day.” and from the women they reply with, “So what are your plans?”

Speaking of sexism, has any one else noticed that an ad for a bed is sexist? This national brand of bedding has people who lay down on their bed falling asleep as soon as they sit the bed. Well the woman dreams of a beauty pageant and the man dreams of work.

3 comments:

  1. I have nightmares about work, never dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd prefer dreaming about work to dreaming about beauty pageants: all that double-stick tape, vaseline on the teeth and being cut off at the knees by other "girls." Nope: give me work any day! :-)

    (What I think this really shows is that the ad was created by a man with absolutely no clue, or interest in finding out anything, about women

    ReplyDelete
  3. Commercials like that just perpetuate stereotypes. I hate it! I'd never, ever dream about a beauty pageant. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete