Thursday, June 28, 2007

Getting To Know You

GTKY Wednesday: Food, bcuz we luv it!

Create a Connections and casa de Charlotte della luna


~~ Lobster Newburg ~~

* 1 1/2 pounds lobster meat, fresh cooked - cut in large chunks
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
* 1/2 cup dry sherry
* 1 cup light cream
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 1 dash salt
* 1 dash white pepper
* 1 dash cayenne pepper
* 1 tablespoon chopped chives
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 4 Slices of toast

In a pan with 1-tablespoon butter add shallots and lobster meat. Sauté until meat is warmed through, now remove and keep warm. Melt butter in a saucepan then add the flour and cook on low stirring for 4-5 minutes. Let this (roux) cool in the pot. Add paprika and sherry. Continue to cook for two minutes. Add fresh cream and cook until mixture is almost boiling. Whisk in the roux and cook slowly for 10 minutes stirring so the sauce doesn't scorch. Now add warm lobster and stir gently until thoroughly blended. Add the salt and white and cayenne peppers to taste. Place on plates and sprinkle with chopped chives. Serve over toast (my mother always used toast but you can also serve it over pasta or corn bread or rice.)

I remember my mother always making this for me on my birthday. Whenever I now have Lobster Newberg it brings back memories the family sitting around the dinning room table eating Lobster Newberg and the party hats. My brother the year my father died inviting me up to their condo in Maine on my birthday and they surprised me with Lobster Newberg.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely divine, to die for indeed. I love lobster. I wish there was lobster here on the west coast. It's one of my favourites things on the planet. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the memory for your recipe! This sounds wonderful....I'm thinking to try it with crab which is plentiful here.

    Saved it to my delicious too:

    http://del.icio.us/travelingmermaid

    Thanks for sharing, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete